Follow in the footsteps of Heroes
on our In The Footsteps® of
Exercise Tiger (Slapton Sands) Tour
As part of the preparations for the D-Day invasion of Normandy in June 1944, the troops who would take part trained and exercised in many areas of the United Kingdom. Join our one-day tour which explores the part of South Devon where Exercise Tiger, one of these large scale exercises, took place. Discover what happened to the American soldiers and sailors involved, and how the local population of this rural area had to leave their homes and farms to make way for the live-fire exercises.
We will follow the fates of the landing ships and the men who travelled in them when they were attacked in the darkness by German torpedoboats as they sailed towards Slapton Sands, with hundreds of combatants killed and wounded, and learn what happened when they reached the shore. Some of the tanks involved were lost at sea off those beaches – we will visit one of these where it has been dragged ashore, and where it remains to this day as a memorial, both to those who lost their lives at sea and to those killed in tragic incidents on the beaches.
The itinerary for this tour can be adjusted to meet your requirements, with departures from Exeter or Plymouth, both of which have good rail and road connections – and a number of air connections through Exeter Airport (COVID-permitting). It will include visits to Brixham and Dartmouth (the departure ports for some of the ships), inland villages like Blackawton and Slapton, whose inhabitants were given scant weeks to leave their homes, and which were subsequently attacked by the United States troops, and the landing beach itself.
Itineraries are subject to change due to operational reasons. Any changes will be advised closer to the time of departure.
The cost of your tour
The cost of your tour is £350.00 GBP * per day.
This price is based upon one to nine people travelling in your own vehicle. Your battlefield historian will travel in their own vehicle or join you in your vehicle depending upon COVID restrictions.
If your group is larger than 9 people, no problem. Just let us know and we will put together a proposal for you.
An additional supplement may apply for anniversary dates to cover any increase in the associated costs.
Booking indicates your acceptance of our Tour Terms and Conditions.
What your tour includes
- Full day escorted tour with our expert battlefield historian
- The opportunity to discuss your travel plans with our expert team.
What your tour does not include
- Museum entrance fees
- Personal expenses
- Personal travel insurance
Your tour can have optional extras added. We can, for example, add any of the following to your tour: -
- Additional tour days
- Half-board or Full-board option
- In-tour travel in a vehicle driven by your battlefield historian
- Transfers to and from the battlefield area.
Customising your tour
All of our tours are fully customisable to allow you to see the sites that are most important to you. Where changes to the standard itinerary are made there may be an additional charge to cover the associated additional costs.
Your money is safe. We are members of the TTA and all monies paid to us are held in a trust account and cannot be drawn down by us until the tour is over.
Why travel with In The Footsteps?
- We have over 16 years experience in designing and operating Private Battlefield Tours, Battlefield Studies and Staff Rides.
- Our team of battlefield historians and guides are selected for their experience, depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to tell the story in an entertaining and engaging way. The majority are accredited members of the prestigious Guild of Battlefield Guides. This means they endeavour to maintain high levels of good practice commensurate with the Guild's ethos.
- We operate a full booking, planning and design service.
- Office is open 24-hours a day whilst the tour is operating.
- Combined Employers and Public Liability Insurance (a copy can be supplied upon request).
Enquire About Your Exercise Tiger Tour Today
If you are interested in our Exercise Tiger tour please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the button below which will take you to our Enquiry Form. Either way, please tell us which tour you are interested in, when you would like to go and how many people there are in your party. You will receive a reply within 24 hours.
Return to previous page
Page last updated: 16 July 2021.