Follow in the footsteps of Heroes
on our In The Footsteps®
Herefordshire in English Civil Wars Tour
Follow in the footsteps of heroes on our In The Footsteps® Herefordshire in English Civil Wars
Follow in the footsteps of the Royalist and Parliamentary Armies in the battles for the strongholds in Herefordshire during the English Civil Wars. Visit the key battlefield site including Brampton Bryan Castle, Hereford and Goodrich Castle in the company of our battlefield historian and listen to the stories of the bloody events that took place.
Our One-Day Tour of the English Civil Wars in Herefordshire
Our tour begins at Brampton Bryan where we look at the siege of the castle in 1643 when Lady
Brilliana and her three youngest children, her garrison of fifty musketeers and the local citizens were
besieged by Royalist Forces under the command of Sir Henry Lingen, High Sheriff of the county of
We then head to Hereford where we look at the various sieges that took place as the city, initially held by the Parliamentarians, changed hands between the two opposing sides.
After touring the sites of Hereford, we head to the small village of Wilton near Ross-on-Wye to discuss the Battle of Wilton Bridge and burning of the nearby castle.
It is then on to Goodrich Castle to discuss the siege in 1646 when Colonel John Birch's Parliamentarians besieged Sir Henry Lingen's Royalists. It is at Goodrich that your tour comes to an end.
Please note: Itineraries are subject to change due to operational reasons. Any changes will be advised closer to the time of departure.
The cost of your tour
The cost of our one-day In the footsteps® Herefordshire in the English Civil Wars Tour is
This price is based upon one to nine people travelling in your own vehicle. Your battlefield historian will travel in their own vehicle or join you in your vehicle depending upon COVID restrictions.
If your group is larger than 9 people, no problem. Just let us know and we will put together a proposal for you.
An additional supplement may apply for anniversary dates to cover any increase in the associated costs.
Booking indicates your acceptance of our Tour Terms and Conditions.
What your tour includes
- One day escorted tour with our expert battlefield historian.
- The opportunity to discuss your battlefield travel plans with our expert team.
What your tour does not include
- Entrance fees
- Personal expenses
- Personal travel insurance
Your tour can have optional extras added. We can, for example, add any of the following to your tour: -
- Additional touring days.
- Half-board or Full-board option.
- In-tour travel in a vehicle driven by your battlefield historian.
- Transfer to and from the battlefield area.
Additional tour options
Your tour can be combined with any of our other tours to make a longer tour. Just tell us what you would like to do and we will prepare a tour option for your consideration.
Customising your tour
The tour has been designed to give a balanced view of the opposing sides in the English Civil Wars. It can of course be adjusted to suit your personal requirements. These personalised tours are designed specifically for you so that you get to see what you want to see.
Your money is safe. We are members ot the TTA and all monies paid to us are held in a trust account and cannot be drawn down by us until the tour is over.
Why travel with In The Footsteps?
- We have over 16 years experience in designing and operating Private Battlefield Tours, Battlefield Studies and Staff Rides.
- Our team of battlefield historians and guides are selected for their experience, depth of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to tell the story in an entertaining and engaging way. The majority are accredited members of the prestigious Guild of Battlefield Guides. This means they endeavour to maintain high levels of good practice commensurate with the Guild's ethos.
- We operate a full booking, planning and design service.
- Office is open 24-hours a day whilst the tour is operating.
- Combined Employers and Public Liability Insurance (a copy can be supplied upon request).
Enquire About Your Herefordshire in the English Civil Wars Tour Today
If you are interested in this tour please contact us on email@example.com or click on the button
below which will take you to our Enquiry Form. Either way, please tell us which tour you are interested
in, when you would like to go and how many people there are in your party. You will receive a reply
within 24 hours.
Return to previous page
Page last updated: 16 July 2021.